Monday, January 21, 2013

Week 3 - Countenance [Jeannette]

Countenance.

Countenance is an interesting word. It's rather neglected, and sort of hard to explain. You know what it means, but how to describe it? Sort of like a similar, even more neglected word: mien. Which is such an awesome word, I don't know why nobody uses it. Mien means appearance, demeanor. Countenance means much the same thing, but with a different feeling to it, a different emphasis.

The face.


At the beginning of this week, I thought we were doing next week's word, so I was unprepared for countenance. Countenance...I didn't know what to do. Then, I took pictures for my brother at college. Coming out into the courtyard of University Hall, I stopped. Countenance! I thought.

For this was the scene I saw:


And a countenance came to mind immediately.



Forlorn.


The scene was dead, sad, silent, lonesome.




It was forlorn.


And so I looked for forlorn people-or people that could put on that look, rather.





With all due thanks to Amy, for setting up a forlorn scene inadvertently and patiently posing, Deanna for looking so sad for me, and Rebekah for the picture of her and use of her camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think about this post? What was your favorite picture? Here at The Visualization Project, we love comments and feedback from people like you. Let us know what you thought!