Friday, January 4, 2013

Week 1 - Shimmer [Jeannette]

Shimmer.

What do I think of shimmer? A glistening lake comes first to mind, but unfortunately that's a bit impractical. It might also make you think of heat shimmering off of the pavement. But obviously that's not practical either in the midst of the first real snow of the season. I don't know if you could even capture that with a photograph.

But shimmery is a word used to describe snow, and I've got that.

However, venturing outside...hmm...

Standing in the warm bathroom, looking out the window at the snow, I was uninspired for shimmery, as the sun refused to show its face. Turning around, I saw it. Shimmer.


Then the lights caught my eyes.



Then the reflection on the faucet.


Obviously, however, none of those pictures are very sharp, and I'm not sure if they really count for shimmery. (Especially the second light one, but I love the double reflection in it.)

So, a bit intimidated by the beautiful pictures in Rebekah's post, I try again.

Bowling that evening gave me some ideas. The others' confirmation that my feeling that the previous pictures weren't what one would call shimmery was abundant and firm. Though I liked some of my ideas that evening, they were no more shimmery.



So it was back to the drawing board...or the LCD screen?...once more.

The sun showed itself, enabling the thought that really comes to mind first-sun glistening on snow pictures-to be enacted.











That's as shimmery as I'm going to get. 'Twas a fun first assignment, and I can't wait till next week's.

2 comments:

  1. Jeannette, they're going to have to give you a limit on how many pictures you can use in one post.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think about this post? What was your favorite picture? Here at The Visualization Project, we love comments and feedback from people like you. Let us know what you thought!