Monday, March 10, 2014

Personal Project- Sir Edwin's Adventure in the Arctic [Rebekah]

In the middle of January, I found myself in a plane, landing on a huge expanse of whiteness that is commonly known as Antarctica. Sir Edwin chose this as our first adventure because (I think) he wanted to wear the huge fluffy hat the Queen got him for his birthday. He won't admit it, but I'm pretty sure that's the reason. Anyway, the vast icy land of Antarctica is incredible enough to want to visit even without a huge fluffy hat.

When Sir Edwin told me that Antarctica was to be our first destination, I thought of a big cold place where it's really cold and people wear lots of clothes because if they didn't, it would be really cold and being cold isn't cool (well, actually it is if you look at the world from a literal perspective), and because everyone wants to be cool (except not us literally), we wear lots of clothes. Did you get my point? I didn't think so. Basically, the stereotype thinking of Antarctica is that it's big and cold. Beyond that, we don't really care about it. It's way down there at the bottom of the world, what's so cool about that (besides the temperature)? The truth is, Antarctica is cool for multiple reasons, not just that it is literally cold. And this is perhaps the secondary reason Sir Edwin chose Antarctica as our first adventure- to show you all ( and me) that Antarctica really is pretty sweet!





Here's Sir Edwin stuck in the snow. He just sank right in, right up to his chest. And look at his face! Cheerful as ever. Admirable man.




We hired a helicopter to get a couple of the overhead shots. The pure white snow and bright blue sky of the arctic really is beautiful from all angles. Everywhere, the snow shimmered in the sun, and the reflected light was almost blinding. I loved soaring above the great expanse of the arctic. It's something I never imagined myself doing. Something about being in a helicopter makes me warm inside. Maybe it's the fact that the helicopter had heat.

Looking forward to many more great adventures with Sir Edwin!

-Rebekah

3 comments:

What did you think about this post? What was your favorite picture? Here at The Visualization Project, we love comments and feedback from people like you. Let us know what you thought!