Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Week 15 - Decrepit [Rebekah]


Decrepit is a funny word. Until about four days ago, when Jeannette picked it for the word of the week, I thought it was spelled quite differently. I'm not sure if people pronounce it oddly or something, but I always thought it ended with a "d". At least it wasn't one of those words that you say in front of your friends, and by their laughing you realize you have pronounced it wrongly ever since your childhood!

The word "decrepit" immediately makes me think of cracking paint, of little shaken farmhouses standing alone on the prairie. I've always loved old things; I love watching house remodeling shows where they take an old colonial house and, well, remodel it. But I love when they keep the parts of the home that tell its history- the brick fireplaces, the cobblestone drive, but especially the wide wooden floors with knots and scratches and bumps. They are awesome. I love things with character. Give me an old farmhouse with all its imperfections over a sterile cookie-cutter house anyday.

So here is my take on decrepit. I wish I could have gone to an old schoolhouse or something like that, but I made do with my barn. I'm not terribly pleased with this post (I feel like it's too dark and there's too much wood), but it works.
























6 comments:

  1. You're not terribly pleased with this post, Rebekah? Child, I literally stopped and stared at some of these pictures. Maybe they're not terribly decrepit, but they are awesome. The chain, the bike, the ladder, the nails...wow. These are cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeannettie. You are a good balance to my critical self : ) I do like the pictures themselves. They just don't quite fit the vision in my head for decrepit. You know?

      Delete
    2. I understand. They aren't quite decrepit, but I am pretty sure they are my favorite group of photographs yet posted. All of them are striking.

      Aww, thank you, dear. Your critical self is a good balance to my...uncritical self. :)

      Delete
  2. The chain picture looks like it could be the cover of a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you should change the name of "The Gossiping Wind" to "Chains". Then you could use it as your cover. Of course, you'd have to re-write the entire book in a month, but that is a minor detail not worth mentioning.

      Delete

What did you think about this post? What was your favorite picture? Here at The Visualization Project, we love comments and feedback from people like you. Let us know what you thought!